The Best Mattress for Sciatica Will Help You Get a Good Night Sleep
Trying to get a good night’s sleep at home when you have some form of back pain like sciatica is nearly impossible. You spend most of your time tossing and turning to get comfortable, but no position seems to work. Thankfully, there are top rated mattresses that you can buy to help you rest better when you are suffering from lower back pain. The best mattress for sciatica can cushion sore spots and relieve some pressure so you can get the desired rest you need.
How Does Sciatica Affect Sleep?
Sciatica occurs when the lower part of your spine begins to pinch the sciatic nerve. This pinching causes pain that radiates throughout your lower back, hips, and legs. This aching discomfort can occur periodically for a short time, or it can be a constant and persistent ache.
Your favorite sleeping position might be doing you more harm than good when you want to alleviate sciatic discomfort. Sleeping on your back is considered the healthiest position because it helps to keep the spine and neck in alignment. The problem is that it may not provide enough lumbar support. Sleeping on your side creates unwanted pressure on your hips and shoulders. Sleeping on your stomach is not recommended because it puts a lot of pressure on your lower back, and it causes neck pain.
The Best Mattress for Sciatica
You will still need to switch sleeping positions throughout the night, even if you are sleeping on the best mattress for sciatica. Discomfort can still occur, but the best mattress for sciatica can give additional pressure relief and the support you need. Here are five beds that can turn your bedroom into a sanctuary and help you rest through your sciatic pain.
The GravityLux is the best mattress for sciatica if you are a back, side, or combo back/side sleeper. GravityLux provides you with a nice balance of bounce, motion isolation, pressure relief, and zero heat retention so that you and your partner can rest comfortably throughout the night. You can buy a Full size GravityLux for $1,099. For an extra $400, you can purchase a Cal King for $1,499.
The GravityLux uses a patented AirCell foam that contours to your body and gives you support where you need it the most. You will not experience any excessive sink, which keeps your spine in alignment. The proprietary layered AirCell foam system gives you balanced support for your hips and shoulders while providing extra support in your midsection. The AirCell foam also does not retain heat to keep you cool while you sleep.
You have three firmness levels to choose from, including:
- GravityLux Soft – This level is good if you like to sleep on your side. It has three layers of Gel Foam, AirCell Memory Foam, Progression Foam, and Atlas Core Foam. These layers will make you feel like you are sleeping on a cloud while easing your joint discomfort.
- GravityLux Medium – This level keeps you comfortable in all sleep positions because it is not too hard or soft. It has two layers of Gel Foam to provide you with contouring comfort with a little extra firmness.
GravityLux Firm – This level also has the same gel and foam layering as the Medium level, except the AirCell Memory Foam, which has an ILD firmness configuration. This level is for you if you like a firm bed that still provides comfortable support and joint relief.
Puffy is the best mattress for sciatica if you are looking for a moderately priced bed. The current price of a Queen size Puffy is $850, and the Cal King is also $200 more at $1,020. You can rest in any position on the Puffy and still get pain relief for a good night’s sleep.
You have three Puffy Mattresses to choose from, including:
- Puffy Mattress Original – This original all-memory foam bed with a cooling gel-infused top layer keeps you cool while keeping your spine in alignment.
- Puffy Lux and Lux Hybrid – The current price of the Queen size Lux and Lux Hybrid is $1,495. The Lux gently contours to your body without any bounce as you move around. The Lux Hybrid has a softer feel with some bounce. It also has edge support, advanced cooling airflow, and adaptive body contouring.
- Puffy Royal and Royal Hybrid – The current price of the Queen size Royal and Royal Hybrid mattresses is $2,395. The Royal and Royal Hybrid offer additional cooling and zoned full-body support compared to the Lux and Lux Hybrid.
All Puffy Mattresses have a medium in firmness rating. Puffy mattresses are great if you are a back or side sleeper, but these beds are too soft if you are a stomach sleeper.
If you want to make a modest investment in the best mattress for sciatica, then invest in a Loom & Leaf premium memory foam mattress. Loom & Leaf is the best mattress for sciatica that is eco-friendly. The current price for a Queen size Loom & Leaf is $1,599, or you can purchase a Cal King for $300 more at the current price of $1,899.
You have a choice of two comfort levels. The relaxed firm level is equal to a medium level of firmness and is the most popular level. This level is firm enough to keep your spine in alignment in any sleep position, yet it is soft enough to relieve the pressure off your joints. This firmness level is ideal if you prefer sleeping on your stomach. It has the feel of a firm mattress, but you will not have the feeling of sinking into it.
The Loom & Leaf has four layers to keep you cool and supported. These layers include:
- A quilted hypoallergenic, antimicrobial organic cotton cover
- A cooling gel-infused foam
- An ultra-premium five-pound memory foam
- A high-density foam base
You can upgrade your sleeping experience with your choice of bed frames, sheet sets, weighted blankets, and pillows for an additional cost.
The DreamCloud uses memory foam and innerspring coils to help you get a good night’s sleep. It has a firmness rating of medium. This rating makes the DreamCloud an excellent bed to rest on if you are a combination back and side sleeper. The current price of a Queen size DreamCloud is $999, and the current price of the Cal King is $1,199.
The DreamCloud has five layers. These layers include:
- A soft-to-the-touch cover made of quilted foam and cashmere<
- A gel memory foam pressure relief layer contours to the shape of your body
- A sink-in-just-right layer keeps you comfortable without sinking too far into the mattress
- A targeted support coil layer adapts to your body to provide custom relief
- An essential base layer helps the top layers work to your benefit
The DreamCloud has stay-put technology where the individually wrapped coils and supportive foam layers reduce the vibrations your partner makes when they move. The coils and memory foam also work together to reduce heat retention and stuffiness to keep you cool throughout the night.
You have a choice of three accessories when you decide to purchase a DreamCloud. These include a cooling pillow, a sheet set, and a mattress protector. As the best mattress for sciatica, the DreamCloud can get you to fall asleep faster and wake up easier without the sciatic-related discomfort that prevents you from living life to the fullest.
The Leesa Legend is a luxury hybrid mattress with all the features you would want in the best mattress for sciatica. It is at the top of the price range, but it also provides the comfort and relief you need to get the rest you need from sciatic-related discomfort. The current price of the Queen size Leesa Legend is $1,949, and the price of the Cal King is $2,199.
The Leesa Legend also has five layers. These layers include:
- A Legend cover made of Merino wool, 100% organic cotton, and recycled water bottle fiber
- A breathable foam comfort layer
- A memory foam layer to provide body contouring pressure relief
- A relief and stability layer to provide support for your hips and shoulders
- A quick response pocket spring base that provides support, stability, durability, and motion isolation for all body types
The Leesa Legend is in the medium/firm range. It is appropriate for sleeping in all positions while reducing the tension in your joints. You also have a choice of several accessories, including premium pillows, a mattress topper, a seat set, and a duvet insert.
A mattress cannot cause sciatica, but the best mattress for sciatic can provide you relief from the pain and discomfort sciatica causes. Choosing the right mattress for your needs does not have to be difficult. Be sure to check all the other sizes besides Queen and Cal King to see how you fit on these beds. Other sizes include Twin size, Full, double size, and the King size. Ask your doctor or physical therapist for recommendations, and get the at-home therapy you need to improve your health and wellness.
Enjoy? Share with your friends